In this quick tutorial you'll learn how to draw Underdog in 8 easy steps - great for kids and novice artists.
The images above represents how your finished drawing is going to look and the steps involved.
Below are the individual steps - you can click on each one for a High Resolution printable PDF version.
At the bottom you can read some interesting facts about the Underdog.
Make sure you also check out any of the hundreds of drawing tutorials grouped by category.
How to Draw Underdog - Step-by-Step Tutorial
Interesting Facts about UnderDog
UnderDog is a character and name of a television show that started in 1964. The show could be considered a parody of Superman, featuring a cartoon dog instead of a human. UnderDog often spoke in rhymes while saving the day, although sometimes he would create a lot of damage. The show often followed a very strict formula, with the characters appearing as near stereotypes of popular icons of the day.
Did you know?
- UnderDog was almost always mistaken for a frog while he was flying.
- The comedy actor Wally Cox was the voice of UnderDog, and provided much of the comedy of the show.
- Like many television shows of the period, UnderDog was sponsored by a large corporation, in this case, General Mills.
- UnderDog’s alter ego is never given a name besides “Showshine Boy”.
- Although formulaic, there were often 4-episode-long story arcs in the show.
The show could be considered a very long form parody of the Superman series, particularly the version of Superman in comics at the time. UnderDog has a mild-mannered secret identity, and changes into his costume by going into a phone booth, like Superman. He also often has to save his love interest, who keeps getting into trouble and is, like Lois Lane, a reporter.