In this quick tutorial you'll learn how to draw a Coconut Palm Tree in 4 easy steps - great for kids and novice artists.
The images above represents how your finished drawing is going to look and the steps involved.
Below are the individual steps - you can click on each one for a High Resolution printable PDF version.
At the bottom you can read some interesting facts about the Coconut Palm Tree.
Make sure you also check out any of the hundreds of drawing tutorials grouped by category.
How to Draw a Coconut Palm Tree - Step-by-Step Tutorial
Step 1: Start by drawing the roots of the tree. Draw a few slanted lines next to each other that all connect at the top.
Step 2: Now, draw the trunk. Draw small upside down trapezoids all connect to each other in a slanted line.
Step 3: Then, draw the fruit. Draw a circle at the top of your trunk. Behind it, draw two half circles so it looks like you have three fruits.
Step 4: Finish up by drawing the leaves. Coming out of the bottom of your fruit, draw a jagged line. Draw another jagged line that is curved but connects to the top and bottom of your first line. Draw a long slightly curved line through the middle. Repeat these steps to create multiple leaves coming out all around the top of your trunk.
Interesting Facts about Coconut Palm Trees
Coconut Palm Trees are the tree everyone thinks about when they think of a deserted island. The tree can grow up to 98 feet tall and live for 100 years! The Coconut Palm Tree leaves are classic palm leaves. They grow from a crown at the top of the tree and leave a ring of dead leaves as they die. A Coconut Palm Tree leave can grow up to 20 feet ling! Coconut Palm Trees grow in tropical areas like Malaysia, Southeast Asia, India, South America, and the South Pacific islands.
Did you know?
- Coconuts are used for food, drinks, and even eating utensils on some tropical islands.
- Coconuts got their name because the fruit had 3 holes in the shell and Portuguese sailors thought it had a face. “Coco” is Portuguese for “grin.”
- Coconuts are ready to be planted for new trees when there is a sloshing sound inside them when you shake them.
- Coconut Palm Trees produce 75 fruits a year.
- There are 150 species of Coconut Palm Trees.
- During World War 2, coconut water would be used in the Pacific Theatre to do emergency blood transfusion.
Theme: Turn your classroom into a tropical island. Do a class craft where your students make palm trees out of construction paper. Then hang the paper trees up on the big island day!