On this page you’ll discover all our Desert Animals, but first…
Interesting Facts about Desert Animals
You might think that because deserts are such harsh environments that they wouldn’t contain very much life, but that’s not quite the case. It just means that the life that is there is that much more resilient and interesting. Here are some facts about desert creatures to prove how.
- Animals that live in deserts are so special that there is a special word just to describe them. Xerocole animals include mammals like sheep, sand cats, kangaroo rats and antelope, scorpions, lizards and snakes like the sidewinder, as well as the roadrunner and more.
- Desert animals have all adapted a very specific set of skills to be able to survive. To live in the intense heat and dry of the desert many are nocturnal, dig holes in the ground to cool off in, are good at finding and storing water, and blend into their environment with sandy colored skin or fur.
- Take some time to learn about the deserts all over the world and the different kinds of animals that live in them. Are there any close to your house? You make a map of the deserts in your country complete with some info about the environment there including examples of its animal residents.
- In the United States, for example, there are deserts primarily in the southwest throughout Nevada and parts of Arizona, New Mexico, and Southern California.
- Give your desert animal drawings the perfect environment to make them feel at home. You can use colored sand to make your own desert in a bottle or by sprinkling it over glue on paper.
- Don’t forget to cut out some cacti to make your landscapes really pop!
- An oasis is a fertile spot in a desert where water can be found. Make your own oasis at home or in your room and populate it with all of your desert animal drawings to keep your company. Fill it with all of your favorite things and remember that no oasis is complete without something good to drink.