In this quick tutorial you'll learn how to draw a Cobra in 7 easy steps - great for kids and novice artists.
The images above represents how your finished drawing is going to look and the steps involved.
Below are the individual steps - you can click on each one for a High Resolution printable PDF version.
At the bottom you can read some interesting facts about the Cobra.
Make sure you also check out any of the hundreds of drawing tutorials grouped by category.
How to Draw a Cobra - Step-by-Step Tutorial
Step 1: Let's draw a cobra! For the head, trace a small circle with a line through the middle for the mouth.
Step 2: Now, draw a neck by tracing the lines so that they curb in.
Step 3: Next, draw the body so that the lines now curb in the other direction. Here's a hint: the body, neck and head look like an upside-down question mark!
Step 4: For the first part of the tail, curb the lines in again, so that they are now touching the cobra's body.
Step 5: Draw the second part of the tail by shaping the letter U against the other side of the body. Here's a tip: make sure the lines from the first part of the tail are aligned with the second part!
Step 6: Draw the last part of the tail by tracing a line alongside the body, then loop the line back so that it creates a hook. From the top of the tail, trace a line that creates an S shape and make sure to close it to finish off the tail.
Step 7: In the face, add a dot for the eye, and on either side of the head, trace a flap for the ears. There's your cobra!
Interesting Facts about Cobras
Cobras are venomous (which means they are poisonous) snakes that belong to the Elapidae family. The snakes in this family kill their prey with venom that comes out of their fangs. There are about 270 species of cobras. One of the more well-known species is the king cobra.
Did you know?
- Cobras have a hood on their necks, and they spread it wide when they feel threatened or angry. When they feel threatened, they also hiss quite loudly.
- Cobras only have to eat every couple of months to survive.
- Cobras have a keen sense of smell and great night vision.
- Cobras can swallow their prey whole because they have very flexible jaws.
- Cobras use their tongues to smell.
- The king cobra can grow to be 18 ? feet long. It can raise its body off of the ground to become taller than humans.
- Several species of cobras spit venom out of their fangs.
Cobras live in Africa and Asia. Snake charmers are people who play music for cobras to make them “dance.” When cobras hear the music, they raise their heads off of the ground and move to the sound. They also spread their hoods out. Many tourists enjoy watching this dance.