In this quick tutorial you'll learn how to draw a Lily Flower in 4 easy steps - great for kids and novice artists.
The images above represents how your finished drawing is going to look and the steps involved.
Below are the individual steps - you can click on each one for a High Resolution printable PDF version.
At the bottom you can read some interesting facts about the Lily Flower.
Make sure you also check out any of the hundreds of drawing tutorials grouped by category.
How to Draw a Lily Flower - Step-by-Step Tutorial
Step 1: First draw the center of the flower by drawing squigly lines upwards and then add small circles at the top of those lines.
Step 2: Next draw the larger petals which should be floppy oblong shapes around the center of the flower.
Step 3: Then draw the bottom of the petals by drawing an upside down bell and one petal bent over towards the front.
Step 4: Lastly draw the stem and leaves. The stem is two curved lines closed at the bottom. Then add the two leaves on either side.
Interesting Facts about Lilies
Lilies are large flowers that have been popular in gardens for years. They grow on tall skinny stocks with long pointy leaves. A lily’s flower looks like a trumpet. They grow in lots of colors and patterns. Lilies grow to be about 120 centimeters tall. They spring out of bulbs that can be dug up and planted again. Although lilies grow all over the world, the most popular ones are grown in Asia. They grow in forests, mountains, marshes, and open fields. In the wild, lilies will grow for 2 years.
Did you know?
- There are more than 100 species of Lily in the world.
- Lilies are often used in weddings and anniversaries. Certain colors are often given on specific milestones.
- White lilies are used as a symbol of the Virgin Mary in the Catholic Church.
- Stargazer lilies are given as a symbol of wealth and prosperity in flower language.
- In Japan, white lilies are given for good luck.
- Lilies have six petals and grow in colors like orange, pink, yellow, red, or purple.
- Only white and tiger patterned lilies have a scent. The rest don’t have any scent.
Activity: Most botanical gardens cultivate various types of lilies. The lily is a very popular flower in green houses. If one is near you, then plan a day trip out to see all the various colors and patterns of lilies. If you don’t have one of these gardens near you, a local florist might be able to show you the variety.