In this quick tutorial you'll learn how to draw a Longhorn Beetle in 6 easy steps - great for kids and novice artists.
The images above represents how your finished drawing is going to look and the steps involved.
Below are the individual steps - you can click on each one for a High Resolution printable PDF version.
At the bottom you can read some interesting facts about the Longhorn Beetle.
Make sure you also check out any of the hundreds of drawing tutorials grouped by category.
How to Draw a Longhorn Beetle - Step-by-Step Tutorial
Step 1: Begin your longhorn beetle by drawing the head shape, looks kind of like a vase!
Step 2: Add the neckline and the eyes to the face for some detail.
Step 3: Draw a long rounded body behind the beetle's head. Add a thick, bold line down the middle to show where the beetle's wings are housed!
Step 4: Now draw the long antennae, one for either side of the head. These will be long hook shapes sprouting from the head!
Step 5: Now draw three legs on the right side of the beetle's body. These beetles are typically found on the Asian continent. They eat leaves and bark!
Step 6: Finally add the three legs on the left side of the beetle's body.
Interesting Facts about Longhorn Beetles
Longhorn Beetles are a common pest in Southern Iran. It is most known for destroying True Date Palm Trees. This makes them very undesirable. The Longhorn Beetle doesn’t really have horns, but it does have really long antenna. They are longer than its body! Their bodies are long and tube-like. The normal length is 2 to 4 centimeters.
Did you know?
- Longhorn Beetles are part of the Cerambycidae family, which is just a fancy way of saying it’s a beetle.
- Beetles normally have 4 sets of wings. Longhorn Beetles’ front wings are longer than their back wings.
- Scientists think this beetle is nocturnal, meaning it sleeps during the day.
- The Middle East is the 1 of the largest dates providers in the world. That’s why date farmers are so determined to get rid of the Longhorn Beetles.
- A True Palm Tree makes “suckers” to produce other trees, but people who just want to the tree to look nice will take these suckers off them.
Activity: Speaking of dates, this beetle is a great excuse to dust off your favorite date recipe. Cookies, bread, or cake just keep food allergies in mind.