In this quick tutorial you'll learn how to draw a Narcissus Flower in 4 easy steps - great for kids and novice artists.
The images above represents how your finished drawing is going to look and the steps involved.
Below are the individual steps - you can click on each one for a High Resolution printable PDF version.
At the bottom you can read some interesting facts about the Narcissus Flower.
Make sure you also check out any of the hundreds of drawing tutorials grouped by category.
How to Draw a Narcissus Flower - Step-by-Step Tutorial
Step 1: First draw the center of the flower which should be two oblong shapes with lines in the center.
Step 2: Next draw the petals by drawing about five long pointed petals around the two centers.
Step 3: In this step draw the leaves by making two long skinny lines with a line in the middle for each leaf.
Step 4: In this last step draw the stem which should begin at the bottom of the flower and have multiple points ending below the leaves.
Interesting Facts about Narcissus
Narcissus is a broader word for Daffodils. They have the same trumpet like center and the long pointy petals around the edge. They are also yellow, white, or sometimes a combination of both. Narcissus grows from bulbs and can poison other flowers that are next to it. They grow in early spring and are gone by June. Narcissus grows naturally on the Iberian Peninsula in Spain. They grow best in places where there are mountains. They also like still bodies of water like ponds or lakes.
Did you know?
- Narcissus can grow in clusters. Sometimes 1 Narcissus plant can have up to 20 blooms on 1 stem.
- Narcissus got their name from a Greek myth about a handsome man who turns into a flower. The word in Greek really means “numbness.” The flowers will cause numbness if the juices from the inside make contact with skin.
- There are 13 different descriptions for the unique features of the Narcissus plant. This descriptions help growers decide what kind of Narcissus they want to grow.
- Narcissus flowers have 3 sections. Part of the trumpet and two outside petals. The flower has a total of 6 petals.
- The Japanese use Narcissus roots to help with pain.
Lesson Plan Note: Find a telling of the story of Narcissus. Then set out some drawing paper, some crayons, colored pencils or markers for your students. Ask them to illustrate their favorite part of the story. When they finish they can share with the class and explain why they chose that scene.