In this quick tutorial you'll learn how to draw a Poppy Flower in 5 easy steps - great for kids and novice artists.
The images above represents how your finished drawing is going to look and the steps involved.
Below are the individual steps - you can click on each one for a High Resolution printable PDF version.
At the bottom you can read some interesting facts about the Poppy Flower.
Make sure you also check out any of the hundreds of drawing tutorials grouped by category.
How to Draw a Poppy Flower - Step-by-Step Tutorial
Step 1: The first step will be to draw the center of the flower by drawing a circle and then small dashes all the way around it.
Step 2: Next draw the large flower petals be creating half circles around the center.
Step 3: In this step draw the younger flower by first drawing the stem down from the large flower and the adding a second stem to the left that is slightly curved. At the top of the curved stem draw a small petal and then a half moon to create the young flower.
Step 4: Next draw two long leaves to the left of the stem that have slightly jagged edges.
Step 5: Lastly draw the third leaf to the right which should also be a long oblong shape that is slightly jagged around the edges.
Interesting Facts about Poppies
Poppies are a common wildflower that can be found all over the world. They grow on tall hairy stems to about 60 centimeters. The flower on a poppy is 5 to 10 centimeters across and is round. Poppies look like red, white, or pink bowls on a stem. In the middle of the flower, there is a blackish purple ball with blackish purple spots around it. Poppies grow from April to August.
Did you know?
- A famous poem called “Flanders’s Field” is about a poppy field and the soldiers who died there in World War 1.
- The poppy is a symbol of remembrance in America.
- Poppy seeds are used in cooking.
- Greek culture associated poppies with death.
- Poppies are used in pain relief medicines.
- Poppy seeds can lie in the ground 100 years and still grow new flowers.
- Blue poppies grow in Scotland and the Himalayan Mountains, because of that they are very rare and hard to grow.
- A California poppy is orange and is found in the deserts of California. It is illegal to pick one.
Activity: Volunteer at a Veterans’ hospital or a Veterans’ of Foreign Wars Post. In America, VFW chapters give out felt poppies when a donation is given to their group.