In this quick tutorial you'll learn how to draw a Primrose Flower in 4 easy steps - great for kids and novice artists.
The images above represents how your finished drawing is going to look and the steps involved.
Below are the individual steps - you can click on each one for a High Resolution printable PDF version.
At the bottom you can read some interesting facts about the Primrose Flower.
Make sure you also check out any of the hundreds of drawing tutorials grouped by category.
How to Draw a Primrose Flower - Step-by-Step Tutorial
Step 1: The first step is to draw the center of the flower by drawing lines outward from a center point.
Step 2: Next draw the petals which are half circles all the way around the center of the flower.
Step 3: Then draw the leaves which should be a bunch of three pointed leaves on either side of the flower.
Step 4: The last step will be to draw the stem which should connect the flower down to the leaves and below that.
Interesting Facts about Primroses
Primroses are small flowers that grow close the ground. They grow to 10 or 20 inches tall. The stems are long and grouped together with tube shaped blooms that unfold into 5 parts. Primroses can be white, red, pink, blue, purple or yellow. They naturally grow in places where there are mountains. Gardeners grow primroses in greenhouses, flower gardens, and rock gardens. Primroses grow naturally in parts of Europe, but they have been grown all over the world.
Did you know?
- There are two types of Primrose. The only difference between the two is their centers. The “Thrum-Eyed” has a bright yellow ring around a hole in the center. The stamen (the pollen makers in flower) in a Thrum-Eyed Primrose is capped off with a yellow pollen ball. “Pin-Eyed” blooms have the hole that holds its stamen without a yellow cap.
- The name Primrose is based on the phrase “Prima Rosa” which means “First Flower.”
- The only bugs that can eat the nectar of a primrose have long tongues, like butterflies.
- There are at least 600 species of primrose.
- A primrose plant can live for 15 to 25 years!
Activity: Plant a garden with your class. Make it a rock garden and plant flowers that like shade and rocky places. Primroses are a natural choice, but so are Hen and Chicks and herbs like Lavender.