How to Draw an Olive Tree

In this quick tutorial you'll learn how to draw an Olive Tree in 5 easy steps - great for kids and novice artists.

The images above represents how your finished drawing is going to look and the steps involved.

Below are the individual steps - you can click on each one for a High Resolution printable PDF version.

At the bottom you can read some interesting facts about the Olive Tree.

Make sure you also check out any of the hundreds of drawing tutorials grouped by category.

How to Draw an Olive Tree - Step-by-Step Tutorial

Step 1: First, draw the trunk. Draw a straight line that curves to the left toward the top. A few spaces over, draw another line that mirrors the last line and curves the same direction.

Step 2: Next, draw the roots. Draw a few small wavy lines along the bottom of the trunk.

Step 3: Now, draw the branches. From the left side of the trunk, draw a curved line that curves inward and then slightly back out at the end. On the right side of the trunk, do the same thing. Leave a little space and draw a small line that mirrors the end of your outward curve on the left. From that line, draw a small line going up and mirror those lines with a long line but leaving a little space. Mirror the line on the right side leaving a little space. Now draw two wavy line on either side of your inside lines to make one long branch in the middle.

Step 4: Then, draw the twigs. Coming out and along the sides of all the branches draw a long wavy lines with curved “V’s” at the end.

Step 5: Finally, draw the leaves. Off of one of your twigs, draw a small wavy line with three ovals at the end. Draw this all over your twigs for the leaves.

Interesting Facts about Olive Trees

Olive Trees are short shrubs that grow 26 to 49 feet tall. They grow naturally in the Mediterranean, Asia, and Africa. The trunk of an Olive Tree is twisted and warped. Its leaves are flat circles and measure 1 to 3 inches long. The tree produces small white flowers that give way to the olive fruit. Olives are considered a “stone fruit” which means they are fleshy fruits with hard pits or seeds in the middle. Olive growers pick olives when they are green or purple. Once they are picked they continue to ripen and in some cases they turn black.

Did you know?

  • There are 6 subspecies of Olive Trees.
  • The state of California has produced olives since the 1700s.
  • The largest Olive Tree known is called a “Donkey Olive.”
  • The smallest Olive Tree known is the “Bullet.”
  • Olive branches are symbols of peace.
  • 90% of olives in the world are used for oil. The remaining 10% are used for eating.

Activity: If it is possible find a specialty store that offers olive oil tasting. The oil available on tap is an adventure for the taste buds! For those who can’t get to a specialty store, create an olive tray and introduce your family to the diversity of olives.