How to Draw an Orange Tree

In this quick tutorial you'll learn how to draw an Orange Tree in 6 easy steps - great for kids and novice artists.

The images above represents how your finished drawing is going to look and the steps involved.

Below are the individual steps - you can click on each one for a High Resolution printable PDF version.

At the bottom you can read some interesting facts about the Orange Tree.

Make sure you also check out any of the hundreds of drawing tutorials grouped by category.

How to Draw an Orange Tree - Step-by-Step Tutorial

Step 1: First, draw the trunk. Draw a long line that slightly curves inward at the bottom and then curved out at the top. Leave a space and draw another long line exactly like your last.

Step 2: Next, draw the roots. From the bottom of your trunk line on the left, draw a line that slanted outward. Do the same from the bottom of your right trunk line. In the middle of the bottom of your trunk, draw two spaced out lines that connect at the bottom by slightly curving. Draw another slanted lines spaced out from the first ones you drew and connect them to the middle lines and at the end of each other.

Step 3: Then, draw the branches. At the top of the left side of your trunk line, draw a long spike, then draw another small spike beside that one. On the right side of your trunk, draw a slightly curved line coming out with a smaller line spaced from that one that mirrors it. Draw a slanted line coming out of the bottom of your spike but leave a small gap toward the bottom. From your line on the right and the line in the middle, draw a slightly sideways “V”.

Step 4: Now, draw the twigs. Coming out of your branches on the sides and tops, draw medium sized lines with a “V” at the top.

Step 5: Draw the orange fruits. Pick a branch and draw a small line hanging from the bottom and then draw a circle at the end. Repeat this from all of your twigs and branches.

Step 6: Lastly, draw the leaves. Draw small pointed ovals coming out of the sides of your twigs and branches. Draw more for a fuller looking tree.

Interesting Facts about Orange Trees

Orange Trees are fruit bearing trees that grow in warm climates like the states California and Florida in the United States. They grew (all wild species are gone) in China and parts of India. European merchants brought the tree back from the Mediterranean. The Spanish and French then brought it over to North America. Orange Trees grow 20 to 30 feet high. Their leaves are dark green flatten circles that are covered in a waxy film. Before an actual orange can grow; it must be a flower. Orange blossoms are small star shaped flowers with a tall center.

Did you know?

  • Of a year’s harvest 20% of oranges are sent to grocery stores. The other 80% are used to make orange juice, hand creams, and other products.
  • Orange jam is called Marmalade.
  • Orange blossoms are popular in their own right. They are used to make perfume, flavored honey, and they are a popular wedding flower.
  • Oranges are a cross between a pomelo and a mandarin fruit.
  • In Europe, a tree named “Constable” is a 500 year old Orange Tree.
  • There are 600 species of Orange Tree.
  • Orange peel is a bug repellant.

Lesson Plan Note: Hand out an orange with a fact sheet on the Orange Tree.