In this quick tutorial you'll learn how to draw a Poplar Tree in 4 easy steps - great for kids and novice artists.
The images above represents how your finished drawing is going to look and the steps involved.
Below are the individual steps - you can click on each one for a High Resolution printable PDF version.
At the bottom you can read some interesting facts about the Poplar Tree.
Make sure you also check out any of the hundreds of drawing tutorials grouped by category.
How to Draw a Poplar Tree - Step-by-Step Tutorial
Step 1: First draw the trunk which will be two short lines spaced apart.
Step 2: In this step draw the roots by drawing three L shaped lines at the bottom of the trunk.
Step 3: Draw the bark by drawing a few verticle lines inside the trunk.
Step 4: In this step draw upwards with short lines and half circles on either side of those lines.
Interesting Facts about Poplar Trees
Poplar Trees are tall pyramid shaped tree. They grow between 50 and 150 feet tall. The leaves have a fan shape with jagged edges. Poplar Trees produce hanging flowers that hang off the end of the branches. They are small yellow flowers that eventually become thick seed pods. Poplar Trees can be found in Europe and Asia, but they are most common in the southern United States. They make great shade trees and are really popular for gardens.
Did you know?
- There about 35 species of Poplar Tree.
- Poplar Trees will destroy foundations, sidewalks, and streets if planted near them.
- Poplar wood is used to make paper, snowboards, and musical instruments.
- Poplar Trees produce a chemical called “tannic acid” that is used to make leather goods. Poplar Trees are often tapped for this acid.
- In 2006, the Poplar Tree was the first tree to get its DNA mapped. It was chosen because of the diversity found between trees.
Activity: To see a Poplar Tree you don’t have to go very far. The tree is popular with public areas like hiking trails and parks. Take a nature walk and see what you can find. Keep a journal if you want to re-live the beauty you see.