In this quick tutorial you'll learn how to draw a Coyote in 9 easy steps - great for kids and novice artists.
The images above represents how your finished drawing is going to look and the steps involved.
Below are the individual steps - you can click on each one for a High Resolution printable PDF version.
At the bottom you can read some interesting facts about the Coyote.
Make sure you also check out any of the hundreds of drawing tutorials grouped by category.
How to Draw a Coyote - Step-by-Step Tutorial
Step 1: Let's draw a coyote! Draw the back by tracing a simple line across the page.
Step 2: Trace the tail by going down the page but looping it back up so that it connects to the back.
Step 3: Draw the back leg by tracing two lines that start off thick at the top but thinner at the bottom for a skinny foot.
Step 4: Trace the second leg,making sure that most of it stays hidden. Here's a tip: only draw the skinny part!
Step 5: From the hind leg, trace a small line going across the body.
Step 6: From there, trace two lines for the front leg. Here's a tip: this leg is skinny going all the down!
Step 7: Draw the other front leg by tracing along side the first one–this one is almost completely hidden!
Step 8: From there, add a small line going up, for the neck.
Step 9: Now for the head, starting from the back, trace a semi-circle making it slightly pointy at the end, then trace a small line to connect it to the neck. Add a circle at the tip for the nose and a small line for the mouth. Draw the eye in the shape of a half-moon, and two triangles at the top of the head for ears. You've got a coyote!
Interesting Facts about Coyotes
Coyotes are canines, like pet dogs. Coyotes used to only live on prairies and deserts in the western part of the United States and Mexico. Now, coyotes can be found all over North America, including Canada. Some also live in Central America. The population of coyotes is getting larger, not smaller, and that is because they can adjust to living basically anywhere.
Did you know?
- The scientific name of coyotes is Canis latrans, which is Latin for “barking dog.”
- Ravens fly over dead animals, and so coyotes follow ravens to find food. Not only do coyotes eat dead animals, but they also eat birds, mice, lizards, grasses, nuts, frogs, and even watermelon and garbage. They eat almost anything.
- Adult coyotes are about 4 feet long.
- Coyotes use 11 different kinds of sounds to communicate.
- Adult coyotes weigh between 20 and 50 pounds.
- Coyotes mate for life. That means, two coyotes find each other and stay together until death do they part, just like married couples.
Coyotes are known to be clever and tricky. Wile E. Coyote is one of the most famous fictional coyotes from the Road Runner cartoons. He is often trying different ways to trap the road runner, who always gets away.