In this quick tutorial you'll learn how to draw a Fan Footed Gecko in 7 easy steps - great for kids and novice artists.
How to Draw a Fan-Footed Gecko
The images above represents how your finished drawing is going to look and the steps involved.
Below are the individual steps - you can click on each one for a High Resolution printable PDF version.
At the bottom you can read some interesting facts about the Fan Footed Gecko.
Make sure you also check out any of the hundreds of drawing tutorials grouped by category.
How to Draw a Fan Footed Gecko - Step-by-Step Tutorial
Step 1: Draw the Gecko's head
Step 2: Draw the first leg, with five toes, all spread out
Step 3: Draw two lines for the body
Step 4: Draw the other front leg on the top side of the body
Step 5: Draw the first hind leg on the bottom
Step 6: Draw the other hind leg
Step 7: Draw a long tail
Interesting Facts about the Fan-Footed Gecko
This gecko is named for its flared fingertips that spread out very widely to help them better grip surfaces. There are many variants as to what coloring this gecko might take on, but the basic features of this animal remain consistent throughout: particularly the long legs and fanned-out toes. They live in rocky areas where their pale coloring help them to blend in, assisting them in camouflaging themselves from predators as well as helping them to gain the jump on their prey. Markings differentiate between males and females, ranging from reddish to black in color with orange cross-bands appearing throughout their bodies. They are a very loud species of gecko, with male calls able to be heard for up to fifty meters away.
Did you know?
- The fan-footed gecko is an amazing climber, capable of running up rock walls with its large toes and feet.
- Its toes contain unique functions called scansors. These are many hook-like appendages that come off from its feet. These scansors help them to climb even the slickest and most slippery of surfaces.
- They are a nocturnal species, coming out at night to feed on insects and arachnids.
- Fan-footed geckos will usually spend their days in dark, cool places such as caves, and return back to their habitat after nighttime hunting.
- They are a pretty sociable species and can often be found in groups. During mating season, however, the male gecko becomes very territorial.
- During the colder times at the chillier climates of the gecko’s range, they will sometimes sunbathe to help regulate their body temperature.
Arts and Crafts Activity Notes: Draw the gecko. Create and distribute copies to each participant in the activity, and instruct everyone to color in their own with whatever colors they choose, making patterns and markings with differently colored pencils, markers and crayons. Then have them cut out the finished result with safety scissors, and then use tape or Velcro to fix the lizards onto a wall of the room. You can have your own wall of wall-climbing fan-footed geckos!