In this quick tutorial you'll learn how to draw a Firefly Squid in 5 easy steps - great for kids and novice artists.
The images above represents how your finished drawing is going to look and the steps involved.
Below are the individual steps - you can click on each one for a High Resolution printable PDF version.
At the bottom you can read some interesting facts about the Firefly Squid.
Make sure you also check out any of the hundreds of drawing tutorials grouped by category.
How to Draw a Firefly Squid - Step-by-Step Tutorial
Step 1: To draw the head, draw a square that curves somewhat on the bottom. Leave a space for the face
Step 2: To draw the eye, draw two circles, one inside the other. In the space, add a bump for the face
Step 3: Now you'll draw the long part of the squid, which look similar to a triangle. If you're having trouble drawing it, just try a straight triangle
Step 4: To draw the tentacles, overlap lines to make it look realistic. If you're having trouble, try drawing rectangles at different angles
Step 5: Lastly, draw the fins, which look a little like ocean waves.
Interesting Facts about the Firefly Squid
Firefly squid is commonly found in 183 to 366 metres under water in the western side of Pacific Ocean. The length of a firefly squid is about 3 inches. Firefly squids have 8 arms and 2 tentacles. Firefly squid stays deep underwater during daytime and comes back to the surface of water during nighttime. It uses its bioluminescence to camouflage with water to protect itself from its predators.
Did you know?
- Firefly squid is the only living specie left from the genus ‘ Watasenia’.
- There are light emitting photophores present in each of the tentacles, which makes firefly squid a bioluminescent animal.
- To be able to distinguish between colors, firefly squid contains three 3 pigments in the retina of their eye.
- They have a life span of 1 year.
- During mating, fire fly squids illuminate to lure its mate.
- Between 1990-1999, Japan fished 4,804 to 6,822 tons of firefly squid.
Lesson plan note: You can prepare a firefly squid delicacy at home one day and let children try it. This will serve as a great experience for them where they will get to learn about firefly squids using their palate.