In this quick tutorial you'll learn how to draw an Atlantic Salmon in 6 easy steps - great for kids and novice artists.
The images above represent how your finished drawing is going to look and the steps involved.
Below are the individual steps - you can click on each one for a High Resolution printable PDF version.
At the bottom you can read some interesting facts about the Atlantic Salmon.
Make sure you also check out any of the hundreds of drawing tutorials grouped by category.
How to Draw an Atlantic Salmon - Step-by-Step Tutorial
Step 1: Draw the head. Imagine a cone shape on its side; at the point, draw the mouth. The salmon’s mouth is large and the edges are hooked, almost like a bird’s beak. Salmon have flaps past the ends of their mouths, so be sure to draw a small line extending beyond.
Step 2: Add the eye with a large circle above the end of the mouth, and then add the tongue with a small line inside.
Step 3: Draw the body with a large oval shape that starts from the back of the head. A small bump at the back is where the salmon’s tail fin will go.
Step 4: Draw all six fins. The large triangular dorsal fin and smaller adipose fin are on top. The pectoral fin behind the salmon’s head is leaf-shaped, while the ventral fins along the body are small triangles. The tail fin is a large crescent moon shape.
Step 5: Draw the spines of the fins, with a series of close lines on each one.
Step 6: Draw dots on the upper body, which are distinct and an easy way to identify the salmon.
Interesting Facts about the Atlantic salmon
The Atlantic salmon is a type of fish which like its name says, can be found in the northern Atlantic Ocean as well as the rivers that flow into the ocean. This fish is also sometimes called the bay salmon, black salmon, fiddler as well as others.
Did you know?
- These fish get to be between 120 and 150cm in length which is a very hydrodynamic shape
- Typically the adult male fish are grayish silver in color with some black spots but when it comes to mating season they become more of a red color with purple spots and develop a lower jaw so they can fight other males better
- When these fish are in the ocean, they have teeth that are small and thin and shaped like pins, but when they are in the river their teeth are replaced with triangular shaped teeth
- During the life cycle of these fish, they develop many other names describing the stage of their life cycle that they are in, some being: eggs, fry, and smolt
- Atlantic salmon can jump over 12 to 14 feet into the air straight out of the water
- When these fish leave the fresh water and go into the salt water, their tails get longer