In this quick tutorial you'll learn how to draw an Emperor Scorpion in 6 easy steps - great for kids and novice artists.
The images above represents how your finished drawing is going to look and the steps involved.
Below are the individual steps - you can click on each one for a High Resolution printable PDF version.
At the bottom you can read some interesting facts about the Emperor Scorpion.
Make sure you also check out any of the hundreds of drawing tutorials grouped by category.
How to Draw an Emperor Scorpion - Step-by-Step Tutorial
Step 1: First, draw the head. Thing of an upside down heart, with straight, sharp edges rather than curved. A small bump at the bottom will be the top of the face.
Step 2: Then draw the segmented body, using a series of long, round shapes that form an oval, tapering off where the tail begins. This portion almost looks like a caterpillar’s or slug’s body.
Step 3: Draw the segmented tail. This will be a lot like the body, but, of course, much thinner. Instead of long shapes, these will look more like kernels of corn, or teeth. Don’t forget to show the tail bending.
Step 4: Draw the pedipalps. These are the claws, which can be drawn as sharp hook shapes at the end of large round bulb or bean shapes. The “arms” are more long oval shapes, bent like an L.
Step 5: Draw the left side legs. Each leg is a series of three oval shapes in a line, ending in a sharp point.
Step 6: Then, draw the right side legs. These will be a mirror image of the left side. There should be eight legs total.
Interesting Facts about the Emperor scorpion
The emperor scorpion is a type of scorpion that makes its home in the savannas and rainforests in West Africa. These scorpions are one of the largest of all scorpions in the world and will commonly live to be between 6 to 8 years old. Though scorpions are often feared by people, this one has a lower toxicity level than most which is one reason that these creatures are popular pets.
Did you know?
- Due to the fact that these are popular pets, people looking for them will use Ultra violet lights to find them because, though they are black, they will glow a pastel blue color under the light.
- These scorpions are also often referred to as the imperial scorpion
- Being one of the largest of scorpions, it gets to be around 6 inches long but can be up to 8 inches long
- When these scorpions are young, they are actually white in color, instead of the dark blackish color that they are famous for being!
- Another reason these creatures are so popular as pets is that they are one of the most timid of the types of scorpions that are mostly active at night
- Commonly when people are stung, it is because it was by a female that was pregnant or carrying her children on her back and instantly got defensive