In this quick tutorial you'll learn how to draw an Ostrich in 10 easy steps - great for kids and novice artists.
How to Draw an Ostrich
The images above represents how your finished drawing is going to look and the steps involved.
Below are the individual steps - you can click on each one for a High Resolution printable PDF version.
At the bottom you can read some interesting facts about the Ostrich.
Make sure you also check out any of the hundreds of drawing tutorials grouped by category.
How to Draw an Ostrich - Step-by-Step Tutorial
Step 1: Let's draw an ostrich! Start with the head, tracing a short line across the page, then do the neck by tracing a long line down the page. Toward the end, bend the long line a bit to the right.
Step 2: For the beak, draw a semi-circle under the head, tracing so that it ends just outside of the head.
Step 3: Draw tiny circles above the beak for the eyes.
Step 4: Finish the head and neck like the other line, bending it a bit to the right.
Step 5: Complete the neck by tracing the two lines wider apart.
Step 6: Starting from the top line of the neck, trace a big semi-circle, then with the bottom line, trace a smaller, upside down semi-circle.
Step 7: Next is the tail. Trace a loop, coming all the way around again to the bottom of your ostrich.
Step 8: The wings will be like drawing a circle. Keep the part closest to the neck open, and trace two lines on the part closest to the tail for the feathers.
Step 9: Draw the front leg, tracing two long lines coming together at the bottom for the feet. Don't forget the toes!
Step 10: Draw the hind leg like you did the front and hide the top a little bit. There's your ostrich!
Interesting Facts about Ostriches
Ostriches are birds that cannot fly, and they are native to Africa. Ostriches are known for their long necks and legs, and their round bodies that are covered with feathers.
Did you know?
- People use ostrich feathers to make feather dusters. They also eat ostrich meat in certain countries. Ostrich skin is used to make leather products.
- Ostriches can grow to be as tall as 9 feet. Their average weight is between 150 and 300 pounds.
- An ostrich’s eye is about the size of a billiard ball.
- An ostrich’s diet consists mostly of shrubs, seeds, and grass. They also eat insects and lizards.
- The wingspan of an ostrich can be as wide as six feet.
- In Ancient Egypt, ostriches pulled chariots.
- Ostrich legs are so powerful that they can kill a predator by kicking them.
Ostriches top the list of many categories. For example, the size of their eggs is the largest of any living bird. Their eggs are about 6 inches long and weigh about 3 pounds. Ostriches also have the fastest land speed of all birds. They can run as fast as 40 miles per hour. Ostriches are the tallest and heaviest living species of birds in the world.