In this quick tutorial you'll learn how to draw Chilly Willy in 4 easy steps - great for kids and novice artists.
The images above represents how your finished drawing is going to look and the steps involved.
Below are the individual steps - you can click on each one for a High Resolution printable PDF version.
At the bottom you can read some interesting facts about the Chilly Willy.
Make sure you also check out any of the hundreds of drawing tutorials grouped by category.
How to Draw Chilly Willy - Step-by-Step Tutorial
Interesting Facts about CHILLY WILLY
Chilly Willy is a member of the Chilly Willy casting group from the animated television series. The characters began being designed during 1953 by Paul J. Smith for Walter Lantz studios. The cartoon was the most famous series from Universal Pictures, second only to Woody Woodpecker. Willy’s favorite food is pancakes, and has two nephews named Ping and Pong in the comic book stories.
Did you know?
- This character is a young penguin with a red knit hat and gloves that lives near the North Pole.
- Chilly was inspired by Stuart Palmer who used Lantz’ studio to create an arctic bird picture.
- The penguin was emulated from Herbert Lee McCormick Jr., a small boy from Fairbanks, Alaska.
- Willy has a friend dog named Smedley who often is used by the bird to keep warm.
- Other friends include polar bear Maxie, albatross Gooney, walrus Wally, and hunter Colonel Pot Shot.
- Chilly was voiced by Sara Berner in his first cartoon, silenced until 1965, then voiced by Daws Butler.
The show was nominated for an Academy Award. Also, Blizzard Entertainment converted their account for the World of Warcraft game to Battle.net which involved Willy. Each player who converted their account before the deadline, received a virtual companion as a penguin named Mr. Chilly. This was a tribute to Willy, as the company typically uses pop culture references in their game.