In this quick tutorial you'll learn how to draw Odie From Garfield in 6 easy steps - great for kids and novice artists.
The images above represent how your finished drawing is going to look and the steps involved.
Below are the individual steps - you can click on each one for a High Resolution printable PDF version.
At the bottom you can read some interesting facts about the Odie From Garfield.
Make sure you also check out any of the hundreds of drawing tutorials grouped by category.
How to Draw Odie From Garfield - Step-by-Step Tutorial
Interesting Facts about Odie from Garfield
Odie is a main character of the “Garfield” series, starting with comics and eventually appearing in TV shows and movies. Odie first appeared in the cartoon strip in 1978, eventually becoming a pet to Jon Arbuckle. Although his species is supposed to be a beagle/dachshund mix, he is a yellow dog with brown ears and a large tongue. He is stereotypical of a dumb-but-lovable dog, often being mistreated or tricked by Garfield.
Did you know?
- Odie’s tongue is shown to have incredible stretching powers.
- “Spot” was originally going to be Odie’s name, until the cartoon’s creator found out it was the name of another cartoon dog of the time.
- Odie’s name comes from a car commercial featuring “Odie, the village idiot”.
- Although usually shown as stupid, it is sometimes implied that he is actually hiding his intelligence, and reads books such as “War and Peace”.
- Odie was adopted from Jon Arbuckle’s former roommate, Lyman.
Unlike Garfield, Odie is considered more of a “normal” house pet, and doesn’t speak through thought bubbles or walk on two legs. Perhaps because of this, Garfield often plays tricks on him. However, Odie is shown to get revenge on Garfield every once and a while, and Garfield shows when he truly cares about Odie.