In this quick tutorial you'll learn how to draw a Black Bear in 8 easy steps - great for kids and novice artists.
The images above represent how your finished drawing is going to look and the steps involved.
Below are the individual steps - you can click on each one for a High Resolution printable PDF version.
At the bottom you can read some interesting facts about the Black Bear.
Make sure you also check out any of the hundreds of drawing tutorials grouped by category.
How to Draw a Black Bear - Step-by-Step Tutorial
Step 1: Let's draw a black bear! Draw a long curbed line across your page for the bear's back.
Step 2: Continue drawing to add the first hind leg. Trace a long and thick leg, making the paw short and flat.
Step 3: Add the second hind leg at the back of the first. Make sure it's small and that the front of the foot is covered just a little bit.
Step 4: Draw a short curbed line for the belly.
Step 5: Now, draw the front leg by tracing the same way you did for the back leg, but make this leg a bit shorter and not as thick.
Step 6: Draw the second front leg, and no need to hide it! This one is long and thick too!
Step 7: Draw the head at the front of the body by tracing a curvy triangular shape. Keep the point of the triangle in the front and draw a line across that end for the nose. Right above it, fill in a small circle for the eye.
Step 8: Last, draw two small upside-down letter Us at the top of the head for the ears. You have your black bear! Did you know that black bears use their claws to climb trees and they are also great swimmers?
Interesting Facts about Black Bears
Black bears live in the forests, swamps, and wetlands of the United States. They can also be found in Mexico and Canada. There are 16 species of black bears.
Did you know?
- Baby black bears, called cubs, are born blind. They live with their mothers for two to three years.
- Black bears hibernate in dens during the winter.
- Black bears can run as fast as 35 miles per hour.
- Black bears eat both plants and meat.
- Black bears have a great sense of smell.
- Black bears can live as long as 25 to 30 years. On average, they live to be about 18 years old.
- Black bears use their claws to climb trees, and they are also excellent swimmers.
- Although they are called black bears, their coats can be brown, bluish gray, or white.
Depending on where people live, black bears can be found in the backyard of homes, sniffing around for food. That is because their normal habitat is being taken over by people, and they have to find food anywhere they can. Although people are afraid when they see a black bear in their yard, it is very rare for a black bear to attack a person.