In this quick tutorial you'll learn how to draw a Ghost Bat in 6 easy steps - great for kids and novice artists.
The images above represents how your finished drawing is going to look and the steps involved.
Below are the individual steps - you can click on each one for a High Resolution printable PDF version.
At the bottom you can read some interesting facts about the Ghost Bat.
Make sure you also check out any of the hundreds of drawing tutorials grouped by category.
How to Draw a Ghost Bat - Step-by-Step Tutorial
Step 1: First, draw the head, which has noticable ears. At the bottom, add eyes and nose
Step 2: Next, draw the hands. The arms extend out on either side, and then end in three very long finer-like fashion
Step 3: For the body, draw two lines that comes down from the arms, near the head
Step 4: Draw the legs. They are very small, and use a line to connect both of them
Step 5: To draw the left wing, connect the line that connects the leg with a line that goes through the fingers you made in step 2.
Step 6: Repeat Step 5 for the right wing.
Interesting Facts about the Ghost Bat
Otherwise known as the false vampire bat, the Ghost Bat is native only to Australia where its named for the ghostly appearance of its wings. They are only found in Northern Pilbara, Kimberley, and scattered areas of Queensland where they roost in caves and old mine shafts.
Did you know?
- Ghost Bats hunt alone or in small groups of five using a sit and wait technique for three or five hours after sundown.
- The Ghost Bat was once found throughout much of Australia but have suddenly begun disappearing from areas they once inhabited.
- The Ghost Bat is the largest species in the Megadermatidae family.
- They have surprisingly strong eyesight for a bat but still depend heavily on echolocation to find food.
- Female Ghost Bats give birth to a single live young a year which is carried by the mother for the first four weeks.
Lesson plan note: Ghost Bats are affected by a number of human activities and conservation members have to be devised to help preserve them. List the current threats to the Ghost Bat territories then ask students how they would manage those problems and help the Ghost Bat.