In this quick tutorial you'll learn how to draw a Mountain Lion in 7 easy steps - great for kids and novice artists.
The images above represents how your finished drawing is going to look and the steps involved.
Below are the individual steps - you can click on each one for a High Resolution printable PDF version.
At the bottom you can read some interesting facts about the Mountain Lion.
Make sure you also check out any of the hundreds of drawing tutorials grouped by category.
How to Draw a Mountain Lion - Step-by-Step Tutorial
Step 1: Let's start with the face. Make a curved line with a bump for the chin, and put another curved line just above it for the mouth.
Step 2: Now draw the ears and the rest of the head. Make sure to put a curved line inside of each ear.
Step 3: Now let's add some detail to the face to make it look real. Draw eyes, a nose, the curves of the mouth, and whiskers. Mountain lions have darker fur around the nose and whiskers, and white fur around the mouth.
Step 4: Draw the mountain lion's back, along with the left front leg and paw, making small lines for the toes. Even though mountain lions have sharp claws, you don't see claw marks in their tracks.
Step 5: Next, draw the right paw. You'll want to make sure it is curved, like the lion is lying on top of a rock.
Step 6: Next draw the hind leg, like a big letter C. Mountain lions have powerful hind legs--they can jump 15 feet in the air and sprint up to 50 miles per hour!
Step 7: Now draw the big rock for the lion to lie on. You may want to also draw other things from a mountain lion's habitat, like trees and grass.
Interesting Facts about Mountain Lions
Mountain lions are members of the cat family. They are one of the big cats, which means they have the ability to roar. They live in North and South America. Mountain lions are sometimes called pumas, catamounts, or cougars.
Did you know?
- Mountain lions are shy and live alone. They also hunt alone, usually attacking their predator from behind.
- Mountain lions typically eat deer, raccoons, porcupines, beavers, and other small mammals.
- The mountain lion is North America’s largest wildcat.
- Female mountain lions typically give birth to two to four kittens at a time. The kittens remain with their mothers until they are about 2 years old.
- On average, male mountain lions weigh between 110 and 220 pounds. Female mountain lions weigh a little less than that.
- The lifespan of the mountain lion is between 8 and 13 years. In captivity, they can live to be about 20 years old.
There are not as many mountain lions in certain parts of the United States as there used to be. However, it is believed that they are making a comeback in the eastern part of the country, as long as humans do not continue to ruin their habitat or hunt them.