In this quick tutorial you'll learn how to draw a Proboscis Monkey in 8 easy steps - great for kids and novice artists.
The images above represent how your finished drawing is going to look and the steps involved.
Below are the individual steps - you can click on each one for a High Resolution printable PDF version.
At the bottom you can read some interesting facts about the Proboscis Monkey.
Make sure you also check out any of the hundreds of drawing tutorials grouped by category.
How to Draw a Proboscis Monkey - Step-by-Step Tutorial
Step 1: Your first step in drawing a proboscis monkey is the nose. These monkeys have very large fleshy noses that look a lot like our noses!
Step 2: Around the nose, fill in the rest of the details of the face. Draw two small circles for eyes, a short straight line for the mouth, and a curved border around the edge of the face.
Step 3: Now that you've finished the face, you can draw the rest of the monkey's head. Draw a long curved line that goes down to the monkey's back, then another curved line for the chin.
Step 4: Now draw an even longer curved line for the monkey's body.
Step 5: Now draw one of the legs. Proboscis monkeys have very long fingers and webbed feet and hands to help them swim.
Step 6: Next, draw one of the hands. Proboscis monkeys use their strong hands to help them climb trees, which they do very well.
Step 7: Now draw the other hand, behind the first one. Also fill in the rest of the body.
Step 8: Your last step is to draw the other foot, which is underneath the first one. When you are finished, you can color your monkey in its favorite habitat, which is usually full of trees.
Interesting Facts about Proboscis Monkeys
Proboscis monkeys have distinctively large noses. They are sometimes called long-nosed monkeys. Proboscis monkeys are an endangered species. They are only found on the Asian island of Borneo, which is located between the Pacific and Indian oceans. The island of Borneo consists of Indonesia, Malaysia, and Brunei. Proboscis monkeys live in all three nations.
Did You Know?
- Male proboscis monkeys can weigh up to 50 pounds. The average weight of females is 25 pounds.
- Proboscis monkeys are one of the largest primates in Asia.
- Jaguars are one of the proboscis monkey’s predators.
- Proboscis monkeys live in groups consisting of one male, one female, and their children.
- Proboscis monkeys are arboreal, which means that they primarily live in trees. They occasionally descend to the ground to find food.
- Proboscis monkeys usually eat seeds, insects, unripe fruit, and leaves.
- To communicate vocally, proboscis monkeys honk, snarl, and roar.
- Proboscis monkeys are considered the best swimmers out of all of the primates. They have webbed feet and hands.
Regulations protect proboscis monkeys from being hunted or captured. However, native people on the island of Borneo sometimes hunt them, and they are considered a delicacy. Another threat against these endangered primates is deforestation.