In this quick tutorial you'll learn how to draw a Red Panda in 9 easy steps - great for kids and novice artists.
How to Draw a Red Panda
The images above represents how your finished drawing is going to look and the steps involved.
Below are the individual steps - you can click on each one for a High Resolution printable PDF version.
At the bottom you can read some interesting facts about the Red Panda.
Make sure you also check out any of the hundreds of drawing tutorials grouped by category.
How to Draw a Red Panda - Step-by-Step Tutorial
Step 1: Start by drawing the red panda's head. Since you're looking at the red panda straight on, add a curve on the bottom for the nose.
Step 2: Now add the details to the face. For each ear, draw a triangle with another triangle inside of it. Draw two circles for the eyes and a small triangle for the nose.
Step 3: Draw a curved line to finish drawing the head and add the details and stripes to the face.
Step 4: Now draw one of the panda's front legs. Red pandas have short and wide legs and flat paws.
Step 5: Next, draw the other front leg. Did you know? Even though red pandas are called pandas, they are actually more related to cats. Think of a cat's body and paws when you draw the legs.
Step 6: Now draw a curved sideways line for the stomach and connect it to the back leg, which looks just like the front leg.
Step 7: Finish drawing the legs by adding the panda's other back leg.
Step 8: Draw a curved line to finish the body and then draw the tail. The red panda has a very thick, bushy tail like a raccoon.
Step 9: Last, make the tail more detailed by adding stripes to it.
Interesting Facts about Red Pandas
Although they are called pandas, red pandas are actually not part of the bear family. Red pandas have catlike features, hence why they are referred to as red cat-bears. They look like a cross between a raccoon and a cat. Red pandas are also known as lesser pandas.
Did You Know?
- Red pandas are the last living mammals in the Ailuridae family.
- Red pandas are solitary animals, except during mating season.
- On average, a male red panda weighs between 8 and 14 pounds. A female weighs between 6.5 and 13 pounds.
- Red pandas are considered mature when they are 2 or 3 years old.
- The western red panda and the Styan’s red panda are two subspecies.
- To communicate, they make whistling and tweeting sounds.
- Red pandas mostly eat bamboo, but their diet also consists of eggs, insects, small mammals, and birds.
- Red pandas are commonly found in zoos around the world.
Red pandas are native to the Himalayas, Myanmar, and the southwestern region of China. These mammals are on the vulnerable list of endangered species. There are less than 10,000 adult red pandas in the world. Deforestation is one of many threats against them.