In this quick tutorial you'll learn how to draw a Sand Tiger Shark in 5 easy steps - great for kids and novice artists.
How to Draw a Sand Tiger Shark
The images above represents how your finished drawing is going to look and the steps involved.
Below are the individual steps - you can click on each one for a High Resolution printable PDF version.
At the bottom you can read some interesting facts about the Sand Tiger Shark.
Make sure you also check out any of the hundreds of drawing tutorials grouped by category.
How to Draw a Sand Tiger Shark - Step-by-Step Tutorial
Step 1: Draw the outline of the body as a long, flat oval with pointed edges and a notch at the end for the mouth. The sand tiger shark is known for its flat, bulky body and is not related to tiger sharks despite its name.
Step 2: Add the eye as a small dot about the mouth and the gill with four diagonal lines behind the head on the body. Draw a line just under the gill leading to the back of the body to show the underside of the shark, which is colored differently than the top of the body.
Step 3: Draw the tail and upper fins. These will be sharp and angular triangles on the shark’s back. The tail fin is much higher and longer than those on the body.
Step 4: Draw the lower fins, with two pairs of triangles on the underside of the sand tiger shark.
Step 5: Add spots on the body. These are large red spots you can see on all sand tiger sharks.
Interesting Facts about the Sand tiger shark
The sand tiger shark is a type of shark that can be found in many subtropical and tropical oceans except for the eastern Pacific Ocean. This shark is one of the most studied types of sharks. These sharks are often found near caves and ledges during the day while floating only slightly above the surface with a small group or alone.
Did you know?
- One thing that makes these sharks look even more scary than typical sharks is that they teeth are always showing even when they have their mouths closed
- This smart shark is the only shark that is known to go to the surface of the water to swallow some air into their stomach to that they are more buoyant
- Sand tiger sharks are a type of ovoviviparous shark which means that the eggs holding her children will hatch while they are inside her reproductive system, which is a pretty unique thing!
- These two shark pups will grow in the mother for nine months to a year, eating all other eggs that the mother will produce
- These sharks are able to detect electric currents while they are in the water by using the pores that are underneath their snout
- These sharks are also commonly known as the grey nurse shark and other names