In this quick tutorial you'll learn how to draw a Sperm Whale in 5 easy steps - great for kids and novice artists.
How to Draw a Sperm Whale
The images above represents how your finished drawing is going to look and the steps involved.
Below are the individual steps - you can click on each one for a High Resolution printable PDF version.
At the bottom you can read some interesting facts about the Sperm Whale.
Make sure you also check out any of the hundreds of drawing tutorials grouped by category.
How to Draw a Sperm Whale - Step-by-Step Tutorial
Step 1: The Sperm Whale is the largest of the toothed whales that exist. Males can grow to be 52 feet long! Start with the head, which has been described as a giant block. Leave the mouth open by bringing in two lines at the bottom.
Step 2: Now add the teeth by drawing a long, spikey line inside the mouth of the whale.
Step 3: Next, add two circles, one inside the other for the eye. Above that, draw an eyebrow by making a curved line above the eye. Also draw a fin by making a leaf shape with the point open.
Step 4: Next, draw the long body of the Sperm Whale by bringing two lines back that get closer at the end.
Step 5: To draw the fluke, or the tail, draw two curvy triangles at the end of the body. Color your Sperm Whale dark blue.
Interesting Facts about the Sperm whale
The sperm whale is the largest of the toothed whales as well as the largest of all toothed predators, not just in the sea! These massive animals on average can get to a length of 52ft for a male and 36ft for a female, but they can grow to be as long as 67ft. That is larger than the typical school bus! You can find these whales swimming around all over earth’s main oceans.
Did you know?
- These whales have the largest brain out of any living creature that is known.
- The sperm whale is normally dark gray or black in color but can also be less commonly light gray
- The sperm whale is very different looking than most other types of whales, making them easy to spot. One characteristic that makes them stand out is the way their head looks like a giant block which is around 1/3 of the whales entire size and length
- An adult sperm whale can eat up to an entire ton of food in one day! A small car normally weighs about a ton! That’s a lot of food!
- It is possible that sperm whales are mortal enemies with giant squids as many fights have been recorded over history and there have been multiple sperm whales that have been found with bits of giant squid in its stomach as well as suction cup marks on its body