In this quick tutorial you'll learn how to draw an Adelie Penguin in 8 easy steps - great for kids and novice artists.
The images above represents how your finished drawing is going to look and the steps involved.
Below are the individual steps - you can click on each one for a High Resolution printable PDF version.
At the bottom you can read some interesting facts about the Adelie Penguin.
Make sure you also check out any of the hundreds of drawing tutorials grouped by category.
How to Draw an Adelie Penguin - Step-by-Step Tutorial
Step 1: To draw the Adelie Penguin, start with a rounded cone shape with a small rounded beak coming out to the left.
Step 2: Now add a small 'v' shape for the mouth, and a small black dot for the eye. Also draw a curved line for the neck.
Step 3: For the body, draw two curved lines that get closer down at the bottom Leave a space open at the bottom for the feet.
Step 4: For the right wing, draw two lines to the right that connect with a rounded point. Though they commonly do not dive too deep in the water, they are able to dive 175 meters!
Step 5: Add the left wing to match the right wing.
Step 6: For the tail, draw a rectangular shape coming out from the bottom left.
Step 7: To draw the first leg, draw a small oval at the bottom with a few pointed toes.
Step 8: Add the bottom of the belly to connect with the second foot at the bottom, as shown. All done! Now color the Adelie Penguin with a white belly and dark head. The penguins always look like they are wearing tuxedos!
Interesting Facts about the Adelie penguin
The adelie penguin is a type of penguin which is very common all along the Antarctic coast, which is the only place that they can be found naturally. These seabirds look like they are always wearing tuxedos because they are only black and white in color except for its red bill, and their pinkish gray toes.
Did you know?
- These penguins got their name from the French explorer Dumont d’Urville who discovered and named the penguin after his wife Adele
- Though these penguins will commonly not dive too deep into the waters, they can dive up to 175 meters deep
- These funny penguins have been seen stealing stones from the nests of their neighbors, order to build their own nests
- Adele penguins are considered to be mid-sized and can grow to be between 46 and 75cm in height and 3.6 to 6kg in total weight.
- The penguins will raise and care for their young as partners and will take turns sitting on the eggs to keep them safe and warm, and stay with them until they reach the age of around three weeks, when all of the young penguins will gather together in a pack