In this quick tutorial you'll learn how to draw a Naked Mole Rat in 9 easy steps - great for kids and novice artists.
The images above represents how your finished drawing is going to look and the steps involved.
Below are the individual steps - you can click on each one for a High Resolution printable PDF version.
At the bottom you can read some interesting facts about the Naked Mole Rat.
Make sure you also check out any of the hundreds of drawing tutorials grouped by category.
How to Draw a Naked Mole Rat - Step-by-Step Tutorial
Step 1: Let's start drawing a Naked Mole Rat, also known as sand puppies and desert mole rats, with the mouth. These animals have long, front teeth, you can make two rectangles for the teeth, and a curve around them for the mouth. Above that, make two small nostrils and another curved line for the nose.
Step 2: Draw the head by making a curved line along the top . Draw a small eye with a point in the middle. Naked Mole rats live their lives underground in the darkness, but they are not blind. Add a small curvy shape for the ear.
Step 3: Add some long whiskers coming away from the mouth. Then, draw two bumps underneath the mouth for the neck.
Step 4: Now, draw a long line across the back with a few other lines coming down from it for detail.
Step 5: Next, draw two small rounded bits for the front legs.
Step 6: To add the next leg, make the arms first by bringing two lines down. Add several toes at the bottom.
Step 7: Now add a few skin folds for the tummy below. Make sure to include the long lines for detail.
Step 8: Now, add the hind leg by making the thigh a bit rounder, bent the foot down at the bottom and add a few more toes.
Step 9: Finish the Mole Rat by drawing a long straight tail with a pointy end. This animal can be colored dark brown with black eyes.
Interesting Facts about the Naked Mole Rat
The naked mole rats, also known as sand puppies and desert mole rats, are burrowing rodents from Eastern parts of Africa. Though they are called naked mole rats, they actually aren’t moles nor rates, plus they aren’t even entirely hairless!
Did you know?
- Naked mole rats are part of one of the only two mammal species that follow a eusocial system. Eusocial systems are when there is a system commonly found in insects such as ants and bees where there is a queen, workers, and soldiers.
- Unlike many eusocial systems in insects, the queen naked mole rat isn’t born the queen, but is a female that fought her way to the top of the ladder!
- naked mole rats live their lives underground in the darkness which is why when you go to visit them at the zoo they only have dim red lights for people to see the interesting looking creatures
- Unlike what many people may think, naked mole rats aren’t actually blind though they do have very small eyes that they tend to close when they are running through their tunnels
- Scientists like to study naked mole rats because there has never been a case of cancer found in one, as they seem to be resistant to the disease as well as many others.
- Normal naked mole rats are around 8 to 10cm long when they are fully grown and weigh around 30 to 35 grams