In this quick tutorial you'll learn how to draw a Tawny Owl in 9 easy steps - great for kids and novice artists.
The images above represents how your finished drawing is going to look and the steps involved.
Below are the individual steps - you can click on each one for a High Resolution printable PDF version.
At the bottom you can read some interesting facts about the Tawny Owl.
Make sure you also check out any of the hundreds of drawing tutorials grouped by category.
How to Draw a Tawny Owl - Step-by-Step Tutorial
Step 1: Draw the shape of the face. Think of a fruit like a peach or apple cut in half.
Step 2: Add the eyes and the beak. Owls’ eyes are very large and will go right in the middle of the face, while the beak can be drawn using two triangles pointing outward from a V-shape down the middle.
Step 3: Draw the head with a circular line around the face.
Step 4: Draw the first layer of feathers, using a series of finger-shapes that would cover the top half of the owl’s body.
Step 5: Draw another small layer of feathers, which will be a lot like the shapes above them but with only the very ends poking out.
Step 6: Add another layer of wing, longer than the second layer and forming a triangle shape.
Step 7: Then draw the last layer of the wing feathers. This layer will taper away from the other wings, pointing down and coming to a point.
Step 8: Draw the body, filling in what isn’t covered by the wings on the back. Use a bowed line from the bottom of the head to a tuft of feathers by the tail and bottom of the wing.
Step 9: Finally, draw the feet, with small but sharp nails.
Interesting Facts about the Tawny owl
The tawny owl is the most common type of British owl and can be found in high numbers through most of Britain but also can be found in Spain to North Africa. This owl has a small body with a large round head and can be found in colors from grey to reddish browns with streaks of black and white.
Did you know?
- The male and female tawny owl couples often stay together for their entirety of their lives
- These owls, like many others, are only active at night and will rarely be able to be seen during the day
- When you hear the owl sounds at night in TV shows and movies, it is often the sounds made by tawny owls being used
- The tawny owls wings are made to be silent while they are flying in order to keep them less noticeable while hunting, also so that they are able to hear their surroundings better, which is an important aspect while hunting.
- When caring for the young both the male and female have parts, the male is responsible for feeding the young, while the females will incubate them for up to 30 days