In this quick tutorial you'll learn how to draw an Oyster in 4 easy steps - great for kids and novice artists.
The images above represents how your finished drawing is going to look and the steps involved.
Below are the individual steps - you can click on each one for a High Resolution printable PDF version.
At the bottom you can read some interesting facts about the Oyster.
Make sure you also check out any of the hundreds of drawing tutorials grouped by category.
How to Draw an Oyster - Step-by-Step Tutorial
Step 1: Oysters are a type of ocean creature known as mollusks. A mollusk is a type of animal that does not have a spine and lives in a shell. There are many types of oysters in the ocean. They have a tough outer shell made of calcium and the soft inside is the animal itself. Some people like to eat them! Have you ever eaten an oyster? Would you like to eat one? To draw an oyster, draw a shape that looks like a flag with a pole. This is the top shell of the oyster. Oysters have a very irregular shape.
Step 2: Draw a line long the bottom of the top shell.
Step 3: Now add a squiggly line to create the soft animal that lives in the shell.
Step 4: Add a thick stripe along the inside of the top shell. And you’re done! Sometimes, when a piece of sand or debris gets inside an oyster shell, the oyster produces a special enzyme that turns the sand into a pearl. These are then harvested to make pearl jewelry!
Interesting Facts about the Oyster
Oysters are something called mollusks, and they grow in the ocean! You might know of oysters as something that people eat, there are actually over fifty different types of oysters, and only some of them are able to be eaten by people. Oysters have a soft body, that’s the part that we eat, so they have strong shells on the outside that protect them, which is made of calcium.
Did you know?
- Oysters actually have a gender, and can easily change their gender between male and female multiple times through their life-span, and often do!
- The color of the oyster’s body changes color depending on what they eat the most.
- You might think people can often find pearls in an oyster, but oysters actually very rarely make pearls naturally!
- Oysters are considered to be one of the oldest animals on the planet!
- Oysters eat by sucking water through their gills and filtering the little food particles out and sending them straight to their stomach.
- They can have up to ten liters of water an hour go through their gills in order to breathe and collect food. That’s almost 5 times the amount of water that humans are supposed to drink during a whole day!
Remember, the world is your oyster!