Let's draw a flamingo! Draw a medium-sized circle, but don't close it! Instead, create a pointy shape at the end of it for the tail.
Trace two S-like lines alongside each other for the neck. Here's a tip: make sure the S is backwards!
Trace a small circle at the top of the neck for the head. Then, add a small half-moon shape for the beak and draw a line through it for the mouth.
Draw the wing, now, underneath the body, making it pointy at one end but curved on the other.
Underneath the wing, draw two straight lines going down for the front leg. Be careful! In the middle of the leg, shape a tiny circle. That's for the flamingo's knee!
Now, the back leg is bent behind the front leg. Here's a tip: turn your paper on its side, and trace two lines like you would a wide letter V, making sure you don't trace over the front leg! Don't forget that knee! Trace a tiny circle just above the bend in the leg.
In this quick tutorial you’ll learn how to draw a flamingo in just a few quick steps, but first…
Interesting Facts about Flamingos
The flamingo is the only member of the family Phoenicopteridae. Flamingos are known for their bright pink feathers, skinny stilt-like legs, and long neck. Some flamingos are a light shade of red, and some are pink and white. In the wild, they live to be about 20 to 30 years old.
Did you know?
- A group of hundreds or thousands of flamingos is called a stand or a flamboyance.
- Flamingos got their name from the Latin word “flamenco,” which means “fire.”
- Flamingos eat fish,s snails, shrimp, and algae. They dip their long necks into the water and scoop out their meals. Flamingos also eat insects.
- Female flamingos lay one egg at a time. The mother and father take turns sitting on the egg to keep it warm until it hatches, which is usually 30 days after the egg has been laid.
- Flamingos are born white and grey.
- Flamingos can grow to be as tall as 5 feet.
- Scientists do not know exactly why flamingos stand on one leg.
Flamingos live near shallow waters such as lakes and lagoons. Plastic pink flamingos are popular lawn ornaments in the United States. The flamingo is the Bahamas’ national bird.